Bachelor of Geomatics Engineering with Honours
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture
- Bachelor of Quantity Surveying
- Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning
- Bachelor of Landscape Architecture
- Bachelor of Science in Construction
- Bachelor of Science Geoinformatics
- Bachelor of Science Land Administration & Development
- Bachelor of Science Property Management
Contact Us :
Faculty of Built Environment and Surveying,
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia,
UTM Johor Bahru, 81310 Johor.
Geomatics Engineering is an academic discipline that concerns on acquisition, analysis, and interpretation of mainly geospatial data, relating to the Earth, its physical features and the built environment. It comprises tools and techniques of measuring, managing, presenting and analysing geospatial data from diverse sources with well-defined characteristics on accuracy and continuity; and in the form of digital format. Geospatial data are obtained from a wide range of technologically advanced tools like total station, Global Positioning System (GPS) / Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) equipment, digital aerial imagery (from both satellite and airborne), Terrestrial Laser Scanner (TLS), Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), echo sounder and Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR). These data are processed and manipulated by using a computer and the latest software. Also included in the area of geospatial are computer-based Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and remote sensing for monitoring the environment.
Bachelor of Geomatics Engineering with Honours is one of the oldest programme in UTM. It was first introduced in the early 1970s. Prior to 1994, the programme was known as Bachelor of Surveying (Land). This bachelor programme strives to deliver a quality educational experience via emerging geomatics technologies towards providing a significant contribution to the needs of the surveying and Geomatics Engineering profession nationwide.
2.0 Programme Name and Conferment
Bachelor of Geomatics Engineering with Honours [B.Geomatics Eng (Hons)]
3.0 Programme Recognition
Bachelor of Geomatics Engineering with Honours is a professionally accredited degree by the Licensed Land Surveyors Board of Malaysia. The programme is also recognised by the Public Services Department of Malaysia and Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
4.0 Entry Requirements
5.0 Career Opportunities
Spectrum of professional career prospects in Bachelor of Geomatics Engineering with Honours are as follows:
- Licensed Land Surveyor
- Government Land Surveyor
- Hydrographer (offshore & onshore positioning specialises in marine hydrographic survey and oceanography)
- Astronomer & Islamic Astronomer (Falak Syarie)
- Geospatialist (government public sector & private firm)
- Geomatics Engineer (e.g., oil, gas & mineral exploration, construction, energy & utilities, land-use planning, three dimensional (3D) imaging, and positioning technology).
List of government agencies and local authorities that continuously require this profession are:
- Department of Survey and Mapping Malaysia (DSMM) / Jabatan Ukur dan Pemetaan Malaysia (JUPEM)
- Jabatan Tanah dan Survei Sarawak / Land and Survey Department, Sarawak /
- Land and Survey Sabah/ Jabatan Tanah dan Ukur Sabah
- Malaysia Space Agency / Agensi Angkasa Malaysia (MYSA)
- Pusat Hidrografi Nasional Malaysia
- Jabatan Laut Malaysia
- Jabatan Perhutanan
- Higher education institution (Universities and Polytechnic)
- Jabatan Kemajuan Islam Malaysia (JAKIM).
List of private sectors (local & international) that continuously require this profession are:
- PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd
- Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB)
- Telekom Malaysia
- Licensed land surveying firm in Malaysia
- Construction, plantation or logistics firms (e.g., Sime Darby Berhad, YTL Corporation Berhad)
- Land surveying equipment & system supplier
- Related offshore and onshore oil & gas operating companies (e.g.,FUGRO, SHELL, Sapura Energy)
- Private geomatics university college.
6.0 Programme Goal
The programme’s goal is to produce graduates that are knowledgeable, expert and skilful in the field of land surveying and Geomatics Engineering as well as capable of managing, administrating and updating geospatial data professionally.
7.0 Programme Objectives
Download Program Educational Objectives SBEUH
8.0 Programme Learning Outcomes (PO)
Download Program Learning Outcome PLO SBEUH
9.0 Programme Implementation
Mode of Study: Full-time
Minimum Duration: 4 years
Maximum Duration: 6 years
10.0 Programme Structure
Courses offered under this programme are based on the classification scheme shown in the table below:
To graduate, students must achieve a total of not less than 133 credit hours accumulated from courses that are set according to the classification scheme shown in the Classification of Courses section, with a minimum CGPA of 2.0.
11.0 Laboratory Facilities
- Makmal Geodesi dan Astronomi https://builtsurvey.utm.my/facilities/makmal-geodesi-dan-astronomi/
- Makmal Ukur Kejuruteraan dan Kadaster (UKK) https://builtsurvey.utm.my/facilities/makmal-ukur-kejuruteraan-dan-kadaster-ukk/
- Makmal Hidrografi https://builtsurvey.utm.my/facilities/makmal-hidrografi/
- Makmal Fotogrametri & Remote Sensing https://builtsurvey.utm.my/facilities/makmal-fotogrametri-remote-sensing/
- Makmal Sistem Aplikasi Ukur dan Pengaturcaraan https://builtsurvey.utm.my/facilities/makmal-sistem-aplikasi-ukur-dan-pengaturcaraan/
- Makmal Kartografi & GIS 1 https://builtsurvey.utm.my/facilities/makmal-kartografi-gis-1/