Contact Us :
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Alice Sabrina binti Ismail
Director of Architecture,
Faculty of Built Environment & Surveying,
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia,
81310 Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
The Department of Architecture (Malay: Jabatan Senibina), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) is the oldest school of architecture in Malaysia. It is one of the five schools under the Faculty of Built Environment. The origin of the school could be traced back to the early days of Kuala Lumpur Technical School, Brickfields Drive, Kuala Lumpur which was established in 1904. Its current reiteration was founded in 1975 in Jalan Gurney, Kuala Lumpur. The school later was moved to its current location in Skudai Campus, Johor during the mass migration into the larger, eventually the main campus of UTM, in 1987.
- To be an internationally recognised center of excellence in architecture
- To produce technologically creative graduates capable of competing in a diversified Global market whilst responsible to mankind, in accordance to the will of the Creator.
- To generate internationally Referred Research and Publication
Architecture is the art and science of building. Its’ activities encompass the design, development and planning of the built environment as well as managing the construction process. As designers, architects play a key role in creating buildings and habitats that serve as integrated solutions to issues and contexts as diverse as history, socio-culture, human behavior and the environment. They also need to consider the scope and scale of design, which could extend from simple individual living, to communal and urban living and working places. Such a role potentially leads to the development of creative and innovative building types that fulfill the above requirements.
High quality education plays a crucial role in preparing students of architecture as responsible, industrious and creative architects of the future. In keeping with this, the Architecture program at UTM aims at nurturing students’ creativity, understanding of the nature and demands of design activities, skills in visual communication, knowledge of various architectural theories, and abilities in professional practice as well as an appreciation of the values of scientific research.
- To produce creative graduates who are capable of responding to the changing needs of the built environment and in competing within a diversified global market, whilst conscious of the value of cultural heritage for mankind and the need to serve responsibly in accordance to the words of Allah.
- To enable graduates to apply their knwoledge and skills in chosen working environment.
- To produce graduates who are technically competent in solving problems critically, logically, creatively and analytically based on sound facts and ideas.
- To produce graduates who are capable of communicating effectively across a wide range of context and audiences.
- To produce graduates who are adaptable to change needs and are able to continue learning indepedently in acquiring new knowledge and skills.